Corning’s Gaffer District in partnership with The ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes is proud to announce a call for the 2018 Glassfest Featured Artist! Honoring 150 years of glassmaking in Corning, this multi-site exhibition will be on display throughout Gaffer District arts-centric storefront windows during 2018 Glassfest weekend. Following 2017 featured artist Julie Conway, this is an exciting opportunity to highlight and support regional art.
- Multi-site installation throughout Corning’s Gaffer District
- Lodging accommodations or a $500 Stipend
- Mileage reimbursement at the current IRS rate
- Shipping costs included. Pre-approval required
- Artist Stroll, talk, and reception
- Potential artist demonstration
- Complimentary ARTS Council membership for one year
- Significant marketing exposure in print, social and traditional media
The 2018 Glassfest Featured Artist will be chosen via a merit-based review process based upon the following criteria:
- Artist Excellence
- Visual Impact, Intent, & Concept
- Capacity & Feasibility
- Artist must be a resident of New York State or Pennsylvania residing no further than 200 miles from Corning, NY.
- Artist must be 18 years or older.
Priority is given to a local artist residing in Steuben, Chemung, Schuyler, or Tioga counties.
- Work must be glass, ceramic, metal, or mixed media incorporating any of those fire-based elements.
- Between 6 and 9 separate installations must be prepared for display.
- Work must be no smaller than 12 inches in diameter and no larger than 36 inches in diameter.
- Work may be hanging or pedestal, however, work must be clearly visible from the street.
- Work must be original art created by the artist.
- Work may be old or new
The application deadline is 11:59pm, Friday, March 16, 2018. Applications are submitted through an online application system at earts.submittable.com.
A completed application consists of the following:
- Artist Information
- Installation Narrative Questions
- Artist Bio, Resume, or CV
- Two letters of reference from professionals in the field
- Artist Work Samples (must be work to be displayed in the multi-site installation)
- Video or audio clip demonstrating public speaking capacity
Only applications successfully submitted through the online application system will be considered.Start Your Submission Here
Review Process & Notification
A review panel consisting of gallerists, artists, and community members will evaluate each application based upon the selection criteria.
Applicants will be notified of decisions not later than March 30, 2018. The chosen artist will be required to sign an exhibitor agreement along with a completed W9. Email is preferred.
All credit language for the multi-site installation must state that the artist is the “2018 Glassfest Featured Artist.” No claim to solo exhibition or solo installation may be made for any of the installation sites.
Each work will be installed in street facing windows at each site.
While a final list of sites is to be determined, previous examples include The Rockwell Museum, Gustin’s Gallery, West End Gallery, and The Evelyn Peeler Peacock Gallery at The ARTS Council.
Installation & Deinstallation
- The artist is responsible for all shipping, logistics, installation, and deinstallation of work.
- The artist is responsible for providing specialty mounts, stands, or other display apparatus
- All work must be received by Tuesday, May 15, 2018.
- Work must be installed from Monday, May 21, 2018 to Thursday, May 24, 2018.
- Work must remain installed throughout the duration of Glassfest (Thursday, May 24, 2018 – Sunday, May 27, 2018), however, some sites may wish to keep work installation longer. Specific arrangements will be handled between the artist and the site.
Shipping & Delivery
The Gaffer District will reimburse shipping costs for the artwork for a pre-approved rate. An invoice of shipping costs from a reputable company must be provided and payment will be made no later than 30 days after the installation concludes.
Work shipped must be shipped pre-paid; a pre-paid return shipping label for use at the end of the exhibition must also be included.
Arrangement for the delivery of work is the responsibility of the artist, working in conjunction with the sites.
Artwork Sales & Insurance
The artist is solely responsible for damage, theft, or destruction during transportation to and from the installation sites. Once on site and successfully installed, all artwork will be covered under the site’s insurance policy.
Artwork may be for sale.
Sales, along with all collecting and remitting of applicable state and county sales tax, will be handled by each site. The commission will be variable by site and will not exceed 50% commission on any work sold during the installation. Payment will be made to the artist no later than 30 business days following the close of the installation.
Promotion & Marketing
The Gaffer District will promote the installation and all associated activities via press releases, social media, flyers, postcards and traditional media.
Reception, Stroll, & Demo
The 2018 Glassfest Featured Artist will be required to lead an artist talk and stroll during the opening night of Glassfest, Thursday, May 24, 2018. A reception will follow upon the stroll’s conclusion at one of the installation sites.
The Artist may be asked to conduct a demonstration of their work during the weekend.
- Submission Deadline: March 16, 2018
- Acceptance Notification: March 30, 2018
- Artwork Shipping Deadline: May 15, 2018
- Artwork Installation Deadline: between Monday, May 21, 2018 and Thursday, May 24, 2018
- Installation on View: May 24 – May 27, 2018 (with the possibility of longer display)
- Stroll, Talk, & Reception: Thursday, May 24, 2018, 8-10pm
For assistance or questions regarding the submission process, please contact Chris Walters, The ARTS Council of the Southern Finger Lakes’ Grants Manager & Gallery Curator at grants@eARTS.org.
Start Your Submission Here