The Icon Show: Saints Among Us
The Evelyn Peeler Peacock Gallery at The ARTS Council is pleased to announce a call for artists for The Icon Show: Saints Among Us, a regional, juried exhibition.
Using the language of iconography, artists are asked to answer the question – who offers us inspiration, comfort, and sanctuary and how can we best honor them?
Just as religious iconography offers a window into heaven, we hope these icons will provide a window into the subject’s soul, illuminating the inner spirit that makes the subject who they are and reflecting that essence to the outside world.
Treating iconography in a respectful, yet contemporary manner, this exhibit draws inspiration from Iconographer Kelly Latimore and his works such as Refugees: La Sagrada Familia, John Muir, and Fannie Lou Hamer.
Defining an iconographer as a “Depicter of Life”, Kelly writes, “I do not wish to approach Iconography as an art form that simply follows an inherited tradition, knowledge and practice. I want it to be a creative process, meditation, and practice that brings about new self-knowledge for the viewer and myself. Who are the saints that are among us here and now?”
- Submission Deadline: July 10, 2020
- Acceptance Notification: July 31, 2020
- Artwork Drop Off: August 24 & 25, 2020, 9am-6pm
- Exhibit on View: August 27 – October 16, 2020
- Opening Reception: August 28, 2020, 5-8pm
- Artwork Pick Up: October 19 & 20, 2020, 9am -6pm
This is an open call exhibit for residents of New York and Pennsylvania. Priority is given to local artists.
Artists are encouraged to explore a variety of responses across any medium and submissions must meet the following in order to be eligible:
- Up to two pieces of artwork may be submitted
- An accompanying statement must comment on each artwork and its relationship to the theme
- Previously made artwork is eligible, however, artwork created for this show will be given priority
- Pedestal, Floor Standing, or Wall art may be submitted
- You may include up to 3 images detailing each submitted work
- Wall art may weigh up to 50 pounds
- Unless intended for hanging or floor standing, work must fit on a 10×10 inch pedestal top
- Hanging work must utilize our gallery’s hanging system; please see the Standard Exhibit Guidelines for pictures of our wall hanging system (contact for special considerations)
- The Arts Council does not provide specialty mounts, stands, or displays; artists must provide their own mountings and The ARTS Council is not responsible for damage caused by improper hanging
- Only work submitted through this jury process will be considered for this show
- Not all work will be accepted and some work may be disqualified due to failure to meet submission criteria
- The jury reserves the right to reject work that is disrespectful
- Accepted work will be subject to a 30% commission for members of The ARTS Council for any work sold and a 50% commission to non-members
- Work shipped by a common carrier (FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc.) must be shipped pre-paid; a pre-paid return shipping label for use at the end of the exhibition must also be included
- All other Standard Exhibit Guidelines apply
For assistance or questions regarding The Evelyn Peeler Peacock Gallery, please contact Chris Walters, The ARTS Council’s Grants Manager & Gallery Curator at chris@eARTS.org.